[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:47:04 PST 2016

Good example.

{wovmoHwI’mey telDaq} would look like a noun-noun construction being used as a locative. “At the wings of the lights” or “At the lights’ wings”. That’s not what the poster is trying to convey.

{telDaq wovmoHwI’mey} is not a noun-noun construction. There is no “genitive” relationship between these words. This is a sentence fragment. “At the wings, lights.” If you saw the sentence {telDaq wovmoHwI’mey tu’lu’} you would not consider {telDaq wovmoHwI’mey} to be a noun noun construction. Why do you insist on interpreting it that way when the rest of the sentence is omitted?

It’s like every pair of nouns is being forced into being interpreted as a noun noun construction. In truth, sometimes nouns wind up being next to each other for other reasons than to form a noun noun construction.

tlhInganpu’ chaH Qov Qanqor je.

Do you interpret {Qov Qanqor} to be a noun noun construction? There they are. Two nouns next to each other.

A larger context reveals that it’s just two nouns that happen to be next to each other with a conjunction after them.

juHDaq ‘uQ vISop.

Do you consider {juHDaq ‘uQ} to be a noun noun construction?

Nouns appear next to each other in apposition, with conjunctions, or in adjacent Type-5 suffixed grammatical constructions, all without being noun noun. There is no problem here, unless you artificially force every pair of nouns into this one definition of a relationship between a pair of nouns.

Noun noun is useful, but it is not the only reason nouns are placed next to each other.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv