[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: voqHa'

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Wed Feb 10 10:17:51 PST 2016

> From: mayql qunenoS [mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com]
> reH nobmey qembogh 'elaDya'nganpu''e' tIvoqHa'.
> Always distrust greeks who bear gifts.

jatlhDI' tlhIngan, jatlh, nobmey qembogh yIrIDnganpu''e' tIvoqQo'.

> bIQ'a' HeHlIjDaq Sor Hap nobmey lulonlu'law'DI', DavoqHa'nISbej..
> When someone seemingly abandons wooden gifts at your shore, you
> definitely need to distrust him.

You've given an indefinite subject here, so there is no way that subject can
be the object of the subsequent verb.  The only antecedent for {DavoqHa'nIS}
is {Sor Hap nobmey}, so the sentence translates to warn you to distrust the
gifts. If you want to mistrust the giver, then translate it the way you
wrote the English: {HeHDaq nobmey lonDI' vay', yIvoqHa'}. "When
someone/something abandons gifts on the shore, don't trust him/her/it."
Make it more specific with {HeHDaq nobmey lonDI' vay', ghaH yIvoqHa'}, or
make it the gifts that aren't trusted with {HeHDaq nobmey lonDI' vay',
tIvoqHa'}.
[Robyn Stewart]

> chay' roj wISutlhlaH mavoqHa'chuqtaHvIS ?
> How are we able to negotiate peace while we are distrusting each other ?

mavoqHa'chuqtaHbe'chugh maQoj'a'?

- Qov