[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tuQDoq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 8 08:57:31 PST 2016

> > Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, February 07, 2016
> >
> > Klingon word: tuQDoq
> > Part of speech: noun
> > Definition: mind sifter (Klingon psychic probe)

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

KGT 55:  Klingon technology has produced two weapons used, as far as is known, only by the Klingons themselves. The {tuQDoq}, variously translated as mind-sifter or mind-ripper, is a device that can read the contents of a subject's brain. It is considered a weapon because, at higher powers, it leaves the victim in a permanent vegetative state (though it does not seem to have this effect against those with particularly strong mental faculties, such as Vulcans).

Also called a "mind ripper" and "mind scanner" Kor claims that the device can record every thought, every bit of knowledge in a man's mind. Force 4 is sufficient to break down any pretense. It reaches directly into the mind and at a high enough setting can even empty it permanently, leaving the subject a vegetable. Vulcan mental disciplines/training can allow one to maintain a "shield" and block the scanner.  The device was referred to, but not seen, in TOS "Errand of Mercy":

AYELBORNE: What are you going to do with him, Commander?
KOR: 	      What is always done with spies and saboteurs. He will be killed,
            after he has had first-hand experience of our mind scanner.
AYELBORNE: There's no need to use your machine on him, commander. I can
            tell you his name. It is Captain James T. Kirk."

Cf. the Federation's neural neutralizer which we did see:  "A device invented by Dr. Simon Van Gelder in 2266 [at the Federation penal colony on Tantalus V] to aid rehabilitation of criminals. The neutralizer was intended to selectively remove thoughts relating to criminal acts, but was later found to have potentially lethal effects." (STE).  The neutralizer can reshape minds, erase memories and replace them with other thoughts. On full power with prolonged exposure, the neutralizer causes neural synapse damage and can completely empty a mind causing the victim to literally die of loneliness. It was also called a "beam neutralizer". (TOS "Dagger of the Mind").  A similar device (called a "therapy chair") was used at the Elba II penal colony for the criminally insane in 2268; it too was reconfigured as a torture device by adding painful sonic waves. (TOS "Whom Gods Destroy")

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'