[Tlhingan-hol] {ra'} as verb of saying

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Sat Feb 6 08:13:25 PST 2016

Perhaps ja'/jatlh being the only correct verbs of saying is a kind of Klingon prescriptivism.  They were the only ones used in some ancient document considered to be written in the finest Klingon, and some overenthusiastic purist started making up rules to go with it. Thus Maltz told Okrand that only ja' and jatlh could be used, because he'd been corrected for doing so.

(Teachers at my elementary school teachers corrected me for starting sentences with conjunctions. I remember blinking slowly at the first such teacher and producing well-formed counterexample sentences from library books, and that was the last of it. A high school teacher once tried to tell me that  however shouldn't be the first word in an English sentence, but the best he could come up with in response to my bewildered "why?" was stylistic tradition.  I think of him whenever I start a sentence with however, just as I think of charghwI' whenever I place a -mo' clause after the main clause of a sentence).

- Qov