[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 5 07:46:07 PST 2016

Here's a chapter heading from paq'batlh:

    qamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'
    The Feast at Qam-Chee

This is not the first instance of Okrand violating the rule in TKD that
the first noun of a noun-noun construction not have a type 5 suffix on it.

I have a theory as to what's going on: the suffix is allowed as long as
the phrase is not part of a verbal clause. We've only ever seen this
violation in standalong noun phrases. (And let's face reality: it's
because Okrand is translating from standalone English noun phrases that
include prepositions, and he's forgotten the rule.)

http://trimboli.name