[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 5 08:30:26 PST 2016

On 2/5/2016 11:15 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> Is that just a location and a separate noun and not a noun-noun
> construction?
>
> The feast doesn't belong to Qam-Chee, it's happening at Qam-Chee. It's
> like he dropped a verb from the sentence:
>
> qamchIyDaq (qaS) 'uQ'a' - the feast {happened) at Qam-Chee

It's definitely a noun-noun. The N-N is a genitive construction, in
which the first noun modifies the second to give it a narrower meaning
than it would have alone. It doesn't only signify possession. For
instance, {baS 'In} "metal drum" doesn't mean that metal owns the drum;
it means a type of drum that is specified as being metal.

{qamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} is Okrand's translation of "The Feast at Qam-Chee."
It's a feast that is distinguished as one taking place at Qam-Chee. It's
a noun-noun.

I don't accept that a word has been dropped, because Okrand tells us
that "the form of language that was used for the paq'batlh is not
conversational, but is a heightened form of language, one that conveys
by its choice of vocabulary and turns of phrase the importance of the
story being told." Anyway, the word-dropping excuse is trotted out every
time the rule is broken. What's REALLY happening is that Okrand is
forgetting or ignoring the rule, but there must be SOME explanation as
to why the rule exists and yet it can be broken.

This isn't the first time we've seen standalone noun phrases that
violate the rule. There's one on the Bird of Prey poster, for instance:

    telDaq wovmoHwI'mey
    Wing Lights

http://trimboli.name