[Tlhingan-hol] Interesting {je}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 4 11:21:49 PST 2016

SuStel:
> I just noticed an interesting line in paq'batlh:
>
>     QIStaqDaq cholonDI' jIyIn
>        DaH jIyIn je
>        SoHvaD jIchup
>
>     I am alive as I was
>        When you left me at Kri'stak,
>        I have an offer to make.
>
> The use of {je} here isn't its usual function of a noun conjunction. The
> things it seems to be conjoining are {QIStaqDaq cholonDI'} and {DaH},
> i.e., time contexts, neither of which are nouns.

I don't see this as problematic.  There are three clauses:

   <QIStaqDaq cholonDI'> <jIyIn> <DaH jIyIn je>
   <When you abandoned me at Kri'stak> <I was alive> <I am also alive now>

{je} isn't linking time contexts, it's modifying the third verb:  I was alive then; I'm also alive now".

TKD 55:  The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it follows a verb, it means "also, too": {qaleghpu' je} "I also saw you. I saw you too". As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: "I and others saw you" or "I saw you and others". The exact meaning is determined by context.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'