[Tlhingan-hol] Conjunction, copula, gender

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 4 10:34:55 PST 2016

Another interesting tidbit from paq'batlh:

    DaH mararchuq
       mayIntaHvIS
       wa' Dol bIH qa''e' porgh'e' je

    We are now connected,
       Spirit and body are one,
       Until our time comes.

First, in the {wa' Dol} line, we have the pronoun agreeing with the
subject but not the object. {wa' Dol} is an {'oH}; {qa''e' porgh'e' je}
are plural.

Second, we know that a {qa'} is capable of using language, but the
combination {qa' porgh je} has gotten the pronoun {bIH}, which indicates
no language ability. A {porgh} is undoubtedly an {'oH}, not a {ghaH}, so
the conjunction of these two "genders" has led to the less
language-capable one controlling the pronoun.

http://trimboli.name