[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIymuS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 3 09:40:07 PST 2016

mayql qunenoS wrote:
>> While I was writing the original sentences, I wondered whether I
>> should transliterate (is that how it is called?) the <Scimitar> to
>> {SImItar}. In my short time here, I have gotten the impression that
>> one should not transliterate.

SuStel:
> Transliteration is fine, so long as it's clear that you ARE
> transliterating, and so long as your transliteration does not make anybody
> think it's a canonical transliteration.
>
> You provided an English sentence along with the Klingon, so there was no
> chance of someone thinking {SImItar} was a Klingon word they couldn't
> find.

You can often tell how long someone has been learning Klingon.  At first people like to transliterate phonetically or translate EVERY foreign name - even the short ones, which can cause others to waste time analyzing them as if they are Klingon words.  Then they set them off with "quotation marks" or <<brackets>>.  Myself, I tend to just write them ALL IN CAPS or, as in this case, Klingonize them a bit for variety (which Okrand does on occasion, e.g. Enterprise = {'entepray'}).

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'