[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIng

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 2 10:57:59 PST 2016

Voragh:
>> 		 And if you've got a searchable copy,
>> are there any other useful examples of {Hoch}?

SuStel:
> All genitive examples of {Hoch} from paq'batlh, with page numbers:
>
>     tagha' tIq Hoch botlh
>     And finally Tiq, the heart and center of all things (103)
>
>     Hoch tuq
>     All tribes (119, 121)
>
>     Hoch puq poH
>     All ages (119, 121)
>
>     Hoch vengHomDaq Hoch vengDaq je
>     In every village and city (119)

FYI qunnoq... note the repetition of {-Daq} on both nouns.

>     Dach Hoch SuvwI'pu' Hem
>     All proud warriors were gone (123)
>
>     pa'Daq tamchoH Hoch tlhInganpu'
>     every Klingon in the room falls silent (131)
>
>     qamchIy Hoch negh
>     The men of Qam-Chee (131)
>
>     quv tIghmey Sov Hoch tlhInganpu'
>     Every Klingon knows the ways of honor (199)

Thanks for looking these up.

Voragh:

> > SuStel:
> >> Ah, this one adds to my list of supporting canon.

> >> I wonder why this isn't {Hoch Qapla'meywIj vIta'ta'}?
> >
> > Would someone verify these in the paq'batlh?

SuStel:
> I was not able to find either of the sentences you listed in the KAG's
> online copy of the text of paq'batlh. Either that document is incomplete
> or those sentences come from somewhere else.

Could be.  I only have bits and pieces in my notes, posted by various people:

chalqachlIj rachlu'ta'bogh tutDaq
   mol'egh betleH
   muptaHvIS tay''eghmoH QeHDaj Hoch
The bat'leth sunk into the post
   Of your fortified tower,
   All his rage focussed in one blow
[PB, paq'raD, Canto 20, p. 159]

bIlay'DI' qaHarbe'
     [...]
jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh
   Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
   quv vuv nuv pagh ghajbogh neH
"Your word means nothing to me,
     [...]
Did you think that my word of honor
   Would have carried me this far?
   Honor is for those with nothing to lose!"
[PB, paq'raD, Canto 19, Stanza 5, p.156 (spoken by Molor to Kahless)]

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'