[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIng

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 07:56:46 PST 2016

jIH :

> Qagh 'oH wa'Hu' 'enterpray''e' 'e' vIHarlaw' *guinan* 'a tobmeH De' 'ut
> lIngbe'
> guinan seemingly believed that yesterday's enterprise was a mistake,
> however in order to prove it, she didn't produce the necessary data.

Qov :

> muj moHaq. yIlughmoH.

I'm really frustrated at myself for making again and again
stupid,senseless mistakes.. Here is the correct sentence..

Qagh 'oH wa'Hu' 'enterpray''e' 'e' Harlaw' *guinan* 'a tobmeH De' 'ut lIngbe'

jIH :

> toQDuj chu' lIngmeH, Huch 'Iq DIlpu' wo' 'a SIbI'Ha' toQDujvam lI'Ha'
> in order to produce the new bird of prey the empire paid a lot of money,
> however eventually this bird of prey was useless

Qov :

> rap Qaghvam, latlh Qagh je. SIbI' yIlughmoH.
> Once you have done that, consider that the ship wasn't useless to begin
> with, so a particular suffix might be useful.

 toQDuj chu' lIngmeH, Huch 'Iq luDIlpu' wo' 'a SIbI'Ha' toQDujvam lI'Ha'.
As far as the second part of your observation is concerned, I'm rather
confused ; I wanted to say that the bird of prey was build from
scratch, so indeed it was useless from the start.

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv :

> Look at your word order for the last two words here. Is {toQDujvam}
> the subject or the object of {lI’Ha’}?
> Also, the English says, “a lot of money” while the Klingon says “too
> much money”. These are not necessarily the same meaning.

yes, you're right. I just saw it.. Here is the sentence corrected :

toQDuj chu' lIngmeH, Huch 'Iq luDIlpu' wo' 'a SIbI'Ha' lI'Ha' toQDujvam

Other than that yes, I realize now that "a lot of money" is different
from "too much money". While I was writing the original sentence I had
the "too much money" in mind 'ach the "a lot of money"
eventually was written in the English translation..

cpt qunnoq