[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIng

seruq seruq at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 2 06:41:59 PST 2016

Other than some strange astronomical event, can a day be not whole?
Perhaps it would be better to use a different word in order to figure this out.
chab.

There is more than one chab on the table.
One is whole, nothing missing, nobody took a piece yet.
Another already has a slice or two taken from it.

Someone comes along and wants to eat.
chab naQ Sop.  He ate the pie which is whole.  He did not eat the one that was missing a slice.  You could also say, naQbogh chab Sop.
chab naQHa' Sop.  He ate the pie which is not whole.  He took the one that already had a slice missing.  You could also say, naQHa'bogh chab Sop.

But those don't mention how much he ate.

chab naQ Hoch Sop.  He ate all of the whole pie.
chab naQHa' Hoch Sop.  He ate all of the partial pie.
chab naQ 'op Sop.  He ate some of the whole pie.  So now we have two partial pies.
chab naQHa' 'op Sop.  He ate some of the partial pie.  So now we still have the whole pie, and the partial pie is a little bit smaller.

Hoch chab naQ Sop.  He ate all the whole pies.  Plural.  There were more than one whole pie.  He ate all the whole ones, and left all the partial ones.
Hoch chab naQ 'op Sop.  He ate some of all the whole pies.  He took a bite from each pie which was whole.
Hoch chab naQHa' Sop.  He ate all the partial pies.  Left the whole pies.

- DloraH