[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngem

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Mon Feb 1 20:10:54 PST 2016

I thought I recognized quljIb as a name of someone who would figure those
out. You haven’t left anything for ‘arHa to do now, so I’ll untangle the one
I made, for reasons that should be obvious shortly.

ngaghwI' ta'mey qelvIp 'amerIqa'ngan SoS.
The American's mother is afraid to take into account her mate's (many)
accomplishments

> So I read {-wI'} as the verb ending "one who does".  I found {ngagh} in
TKW p.222 "mate with".  Ergo, I read {ngaghwI'} as "one who mates with
[something]".

Yes!  A ngaghwI' is not a mate, as in loDnal or be'nal, it's one who mates
with something. Nothing in the sentence implies that the one who mates does
so with the mother of the American.

"The American's mother is afraid to consider the deeds of the one who
mates."  or "... of ones who mate."

Mate in the "Go mate with your targ" sense.

It was a reference back to a comment I made in English earlier in the
thread, about Americans being prudish about sex.

ngaghwI' ta'mey

>  {ta'mey} could be "emperors (scattered about)", but "accomplishments"
reads better.  To me, this means {ngaghwI'} can only be the mate of the
American's mother
> {amerI'qa'ngan SoS}.  Why {loDnal} wasn't used I don't know.  Perhaps
they're not formally married yet?

> {qel} is in TKD addendum (difficult to find!) and means "consider/take
into account", thus {qelvIp} is "afraid to consider/take into account."

> And that's how I got my translation.  Please demonstrate how I screwed up.

Screwed up is way too strong a term. I'd go with "misconstrued nuance" or
"disregarded Qov's attempt to reincorporate a previous remark" or back to my
previous "used excess creativity to contextualize an element of the
sentence."

Write some -vIp sentences of your own, and now I WILL butt out and let 'arHa
have some of the fun.

(This is really, really fun. so thank you for stepping up and allowing your
sentences to be dissected.  Unknown numbers of silent lurkers are now
understanding stuff you already understood, but made minor errors at).

- Qov

- Qov