[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngem

David Joslyn gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:21:58 PST 2016

jatlh Qov::
> Some great translations, and some fun things to correct here. I'm going to
> give you a piece of general advice and give you a chance to correct these,
> and then hand the corrections over to 'arHa, so he can do his job.
>
> The biggest general piece of advice I'm going to give you is this: a
> properly constructed Klingon sentence really does say what it means.,,
> Yes, English translations contain articles and verb tense words that aren't in the Klingon, and
> sometimes they stray into different English translations, but if you say
> something in English and I translate it into Klingon, ghunchu'wI' can
> translate it back into English without guessing or losing information on the
> way.
>
>>> jangvIp qama'.
>> I will not accommodate your fear to speak.
> I thought as I wrote the word qama' that this could happen, but if qama'
> here means "I accommodate", what possible role in the sentence would jangvIp
> be playing?  The object of a verb beginning in qa- must be you, and jangvIp
> is a verb, so cannoy be the object of the verb.  Reanalyze this one, and
> 'arHa will help you out with any remaining issues.
>
> If I were to translate your English into Klingon it would be
> {jangvIpghachlIj vIma'be'}, or more probably {jangvipghachlIj vIma'Qo'} or
> {jangvIpghachlIj vIma'qangbe'}, because it sounds a bit more like a refusal
> or unwillingness than a statement about what you'll do in the future.
*dopeslap*  "The prisoner is afraid to reply."

>>> jagh DacholvIp'a'? <-- careful, you need to take the prefix off the
>>> verb before you look it up.
>> Will you scream if, as you fear, they approach?[Robyn Stewart]
> I think you must enjoy poetry, maybe even you write it. You're having a
> marvellous time figuring out ways to fit the bits you've understood into an
> English sentence, but really if Klingon worked that way, no one would
> understand one another when we spoke it. There is a Klingon way to say "if"
> and it's not in this sentence.  It's simpler than what you're trying there.
> You're correct that there's a question being asked. You've looked up or
> remembered a word incorrectly.  Try perhaps translating the sentence without
> -vIp, and then add in the meaning of -vIp.
>
> Your English sentence would be .. hmm... {chol chaH 'e' DaHaj. qaSchugh
> bIjach'a'?} Anyone playing is welcome to suggest alternatives.
Yes, I do enjoy reading, and occasionally writing, poetry.  But to the
sentence:

DacholvIp.  "You are afraid to approach/come nearer."
DacholvIp'a'?  "Are you afraid to approach/come nearer?"
jagh DacholvIp'a'?  Are you affraid to approach the enemy?" *dopeslap* I
mistranslated {jagh} => {jach}

>>> ngaghwI' ta'mey qelvIp 'amerIqa'ngan SoS.
>> The American's mother is afraid to take into account her mate's (many)
>> accomplishments
> This one was a little challenging, but I see from your correct
> interpretation of 'amerI'qa'ngan SoS (despite my spelling error) that you
> know the noun-noun form. But for some reason you went astray with the other
> noun-noun. Let's say for a moment that you looked up ngagh and misread the
> entry as being a noun rather than a verb--likely what happened.  You then
> saw the suffix -wI' and though it must be the noun suffix -wI'. But I still
> don't see how it became your translation. When it stopped making sense, you
> should have backed up and checked what was going on. ngagh is a verb.
> Re-analyze and away 'arHa's patient enthusiasm.
No I read {-wI'} as the verb ending "one who does".  I found {ngagh} in
TKW p.222 "mate with".  Ergo, I read {ngaghwI'} as "one who mates with
[something]".  {ta'mey} /could/ be "emperors (scattered about)", but
"accomplishments" reads better.  To me, this means {ngaghwI'} can only
be the mate of the American's mother {amerI'qa'ngan SoS}.  Why {loDnal}
wasn't used I don't know. Perhaps they're not formally married yet?

{qel} is in TKD addendum (difficult to find!) and means "consider/take
into account", thus {qelvIp} is "afraid to consider/take into account."

And that's how I got my translation.  Please demonstrate how I screwed up.

>>> Qov lobHa'vIpbe' qunnoq HoD. <-- Qov and qunnoq HoD are both people's
>>> names
>> Captain {qunnoq} is afraid to disobey Qov.
> Close.  Do you know what the suffix -be' means?
*double dopeslap*  Captain {qunnoq} is NOT afraid to disobey Qov. (My
eyes must have glazed over it.)

pItlh.

~quljIb