[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngem

David Joslyn gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:35:26 PST 2016

jatlh, Robyn Stewar:
> bIjangmo' choQuchmoH. I'm happy you replied. (literally: because you reply,
> you cause me to be happy)
>
> maj. You are exactly the person I hoped would respond to the post. --
> Not you personally, but you, the beginner who is learning suffixes.
> It's a great stage of the language to be at, because you can increase
> your ability so much with just a little knowledge. Now I feel that the
> time I put into the post was worthwhile. I know that because you wrote
> {-vIp} and not just {vIp} that you understand the idea of a suffix.
> Other people have already told you that -vIp means that the subject of
> the sentence is "afraid to do" the action of the verb, but I wonder
> why you were unable to find it. It is a rarish suffix, because fear is
> to Klingons as sex is to Americans: something not to be talked about.
> Try some more:

> jangvIp qama'.
I will not accommodate your fear to speak.

> be' qIHvIp loDvetlh.
That boy is afraid to meet the girl for the first time.

> pumvIp lIghwI'.
The rider is afraid to fall.

> jagh DacholvIp'a'? <-- careful, you need to take the prefix off the
> verb before you look it up.
Will you scream if, as you fear, they approach?

> ngaghwI' ta'mey qelvIp 'amerIqa'ngan SoS.
The American's mother is afraid to take into account her mate's (many)
accomplishments

> Qov lobHa'vIpbe' qunnoq HoD. <-- Qov and qunnoq HoD are both people's
> names
Captain {qunnoq} is afraid to disobey Qov.

pItlh

~quljIb