[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngem

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Feb 1 12:43:03 PST 2016

bIjangmo' choQuchmoH. I'm happy you replied. (literally: because you reply,
you cause me to be happy)

> ngem leghvIp puq.
> {legh} means "see", but I could not find {-vIp}, so I can't make sense of
the
> sentence.

maj. You are exactly the person I hoped would respond to the post. -- Not
you personally, but you, the beginner who is learning suffixes. It's a great
stage of the language to be at, because you can increase your ability so
much with just a little knowledge. Now I feel that the time I put into the
post was worthwhile. I know that because you wrote {-vIp} and not just {vIp}
that you understand the idea of a suffix. Other people have already told you
that -vIp means that the subject of the sentence is "afraid to do" the
action of the verb, but I wonder why you were unable to find it. It is a
rarish suffix, because fear is to Klingons as sex is to Americans: something
not to be talked about.

Try some more:

jangvIp qama'.
be' qIHvIp loDvetlh.
pumvIp lIghwI'.
jagh DacholvIp'a'?  <-- careful, you need to take the prefix off the verb
before you look it up.
ngaghwI' ta'mey qelvIp 'amerIqa'ngan SoS.
Qov lobHa'vIpbe' qunnoq HoD.  <-- Qov and qunnoq HoD are both people's names

(qunnoq HoD if you answer this post do not translate the sentences above:
leave them for others, but you can participate in the next section).

Write some of your own!