[Tlhingan-hol] mu' chu' chabal tetlh

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Fri Apr 29 16:55:18 PDT 2016

We're not so much asking for words, after all how would we know what words
Klingons might have, but for the means to express concepts.  Many of the
concepts we expect to be represented by nouns, and it's possible the
irrealis is expressed with a suffix, but we don't know.  I once asked
something like, "how do I express the idea of controlling an airplane to
maintain a particular orientation with respect to the horizon?" and back
came a whole raft of words, including verbs for motions about different
axes, a noun for horizon, and  a verb meaning 'be in an attitude.'

Even when learning a natural language I try to elicit vocabulary that way.
"What do I say to someone the first time I see them during the day? Is it
different if they are in my family, older or younger, or if I need to be
formal?"  I learn so much more than if I just ask, "How do you say 'Good
Morning' in your language?"

It wouldn't make any sense for us to ask for "a verb suffix that indicates
that a statement is hypothetical" or something like that, because then were
making up the language, not Okrand.

- Qov