[Tlhingan-hol] How would you feel about new Klingon morphemes? [was: New expression: Klingon for "dim sum" revealed‏]

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 08:40:27 PDT 2016

On 29 April 2016 at 13:33, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> People are interested in klingon because of star trek, and the way
> that klingons are depicted there. If klingon had nothing to do with
> star trek whatsoever, how many do you think would actually be
> interested ? Or if klingon wasn't the language of a "warrior race",
> but the language of a species as the romulans or the ferengi, then
> again how many would be interested ?

It's certainly true that the Klingon language has the fame that it
does in pop culture because of its association with Star Trek. But
most people who come to Klingon through Star Trek don't manage to
learn the language well enough to converse. They learn a few words,
maybe for cosplay or computer gaming purposes ("K'plah!"), but that's
it. Among the more advanced speakers, there are proportionally fewer
people who are Star Trek fans, and I think there are actually quite a
few where it's the other way around (they got interested in Star Trek
because of Klingon).

Also, I think that if the language developed by Okrand had been Vulcan
instead of Klingon, it might've been even more popular. That would've
drawn from the pool of people interested in Loglan/Lojban. (He did do
some Vulcan dialogue, but not a full language with grammar as he did
with Klingon.)