[Tlhingan-hol] How would you feel about new Klingon morphemes? [was: New expression: Klingon for "dim sum" revealed‏]

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:12:58 PDT 2016

The argument that Klingons aren't abstract is made against a straw man. I haven't seen that argument presented here. It may be reasonable to suggest that Klingon abstraction might not map 1:1 with human abstraction. In particular, I see no reason to insist that a Klingon would say "At death I realized," instead of {jIHeghDI' jItlhojpu'...} or more abstractly {Heghlu'DI' jItlhojpu...}.

If I have not satisfied your abstraction very well it's because your example is very incomplete, leaving me to guess what your completed thought would have been.

As for laziness, consider whether it is easier to express an idea in any secondary language, or skip that and just complain because the language hasn't modified itself to make a particular expression easier to make.

Klingon is not the only language to fail to differentiate between inclusive and exclusive first person plural. Most languages don't. English doesn't. Yet that was recently on the complaint list here for Klingon. Other languages lack irrealis. So?

Klingon lacks a word for the tear shaped flap of skin hanging from the back of the roof of the mouth, but somehow we will survive. English has that word, but 99.9% of its speakers don't know the word, so it is rarely useful.

So, you can think of clever things that Klingon could have that it lacks. Bully for you. Why don't you start from scratch, like Okrand did, and see if you can come up with a language that is half as versatile, expressive, and interesting as Klingon.

I dare you.

The Klingon language is a masterpiece. Stop trying to add your little piece of graffiti to it. Learn to use it well, or go make up something more to your liking, and then try to find a group of people willing to learn how to speak it.

I find it awkward that we don't have an adjectival verb for "be fast". I whine about it now and then, but I don't get indignant about it or insult anyone who claims that we are okay without it.

Sent from my iPod