[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: leSpalwIj (corrected!)

David Joslyn gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:36:15 PDT 2016

On 4/27/2016 9:52 AM, De'vID wrote:
> On 4/26/2016 10:54 PM, Dillon, Kyle wrote:
>> Also, I can tell that the last sentence is a comparative:
>> DaH pangghachwIj qat law' ben yachghachwIj qat puS.
>> I don't have any experience yet translating comparatives. Something about
>> your plucking now being better than your strumming years ago? Is that close?
> On 27 April 2016 at 11:39, David Joslyn <gaerfindel at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> majQa!  That is precisely what I mean.
> In a comparative construction {A Q law' B Q puS}, Q has to be a
> "quality", so {qat} doesn't really work here.
I was going for the idea that by "plucking" {pang} the music "encases"
{qat} the song better than "strumming" {yuch}.  (Which is does, given
that's how the original was composed {qon}.)  Guess I got ahead of
myself; should have gone with the simpler {QaQ} to indicate plucking is
better than simply strumming.

~quljIb