[Tlhingan-hol] Because you mentioned it (Was: Expressing instrumentality)

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 07:51:09 PDT 2016

You are helping me clarify how this works, and I appreciate it.

My problem is still that sometimes the student is the direct object (when the topic is not mentioned) and sometimes it is the indirect object (when the topic is mentioned) and it’s never an indirect object if the topic is absent. That is inconsistent. That is the root of the vague new definition that bothers me.

It’s like saying, “I give the blood pie to my sister.” “I give the blood pie.” “I give my sister.”

No, I don’t give my sister. I give TO my sister.

English does have the quirk of saying, “I give my sister the blood pie,” and if anyone is trying to teach English to someone else and they get to this example, they should take the time to explain how this weird little example works, because it really is never okay to say “I give my sister” in this context, if you don’t mention the blood pie, and that’s what Klingon is doing here.

If {ghojmoH} really means “teach” and not “cause to learn”, then I teach my sister. I teach Klingon. I teach Klingon to my sister. No problem. But we’ve had it explained that {ghojmoH} only indirectly means “teach”. It actually means “cause to learn”.

So, it’s like he took the definition “teach” and then mashed the Klingon through a literal translation of the English, and if that’s the way it is to be done, then we need to come up with a different definition for every OTHER transitive verb plus {-moH} so that we can mash THEM through a hacked English translation to make sense of it.

And TKD doesn’t give us those definitions… He gave us “teach”, and he has applied it as if that’s literally what it means in all the ways it means it in English, and then he hasn’t given us most of the definitions we need to use {-moH} accordingly.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv