[Tlhingan-hol] Because you mentioned it (Was: Expressing instrumentality)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Apr 22 07:02:16 PDT 2016

On 4/22/2016 9:35 AM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv wrote:
> No other suffix affects what class of noun can act as a direct object,
> except for {-moH}, and one of those two expansions is explained in
> TKD, with stative verbs, but the other one isn’t.

Really? *-chuq* and *-'egh* force the subject to be the object.***-wI'*
and *-ghach* prevent the use of objects altogether, so far as we can tell.

Yes, *-moH* is unique, which is probably why it has a suffix class all
to itself. Remember its definition, and try to forget all the baggage of
ditransitivity and indirect objects that have been built up by ourselves
over the years: "Adding this suffix to a verb indicates that the subject
is causing a change of condition or causing a new condition to come into
existence."

In other words, the role of the /subject/ changes when using *-moH.* The
subject goes from being an agent or an experiencer to being a causer.
But that's the /only/ thing that changes. Anything else that happens is
determined purely by the rules set out in TKD and whether an object is a
direct or indirect object.

Who's acting? Who's being acted upon? Who's receiving that action? Those
are the /only/ determinants for what is a subject, direct object, and
indirect object. /All/ of Okrand's examples follow this.

Don't build a *-moH* sentence by starting with an un*-moH*'d sentence
and adding *-moH.* Start from scratch. If the subject is causing the
action to happen, add *-moH.* If something is being acted upon, make it
the direct object. If someone is receiving the action, make it the
indirect object.

http://trimboli.name