[Tlhingan-hol] Expressing instrumentality

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:19:14 PDT 2016

AFAIK there are no examples of Okrand using {lo'taHvIS}, but he does tend to use purpose clauses with {-meH}:

  luchovmeH 'oy'naQmey lo'
  [Warriors] who test him with painstiks (S9)

  labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
  A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. (S19)

  SIQwI' lu'oy'moHmeH juppu'Daj 'oy'naQmey lo' chaH.  SuvwI' qa' patlh
   veb chavlaHmeH tlhIngan lo'chu' chaH. toDujDaj toblu'
  The Painstik is employed by friends of the recipient who use [painstiks]
   to inflict pain in a manner which will allow the Klingon to attain a
   higher state of spirituality as a warrior, proving his mettle. (S32)

  qung wejDIch HengmeH qewwI' lo'
  (in order) to finger the third hole, he/she uses the ring finger.
   (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIqmeH naQjejwIj lo' SuvwI'
  the warrior uses my spear to point at the traitor
  the warrior points at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

  rav velmeH tlhIm lo'
  lay a carpet
  ("use a carpet to cover the floor") (Lieven < MO, 1/09/2012)

  qIb boche'meH qeylIS HoS bolo' 'ej SuvwI' vaSDaq boquvmoHlu'
  Control the Galaxy with the might of Kahless and be immortalized
   in the Hall of Warriors. (MKE)

... or with {-DI'}:

  janmey ngo' lulo'lu'DI' pIj jabbI'ID nISpu' woj
  Older models were susceptible to radiation. (S19)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'