[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: -Daq, and pronouns with -taH

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 04:44:53 PDT 2016

On 15 April 2016 at 16:46, Dillon, Kyle <kyledi at spu.edu> wrote:
> For example, in
> the sentence: "Worf was/has been an officer," could we say, yaS 'oHpu'
> wo'rIv'e' (with a type 7 perfective suffix on the pronoun)? Or how about
> "Kirk must/needs to be our captain" as HoDma' 'oHnIS qIrq'e' (with a type 2
> suffix of necessity on the pronoun)?

lughbe'bej. wo'rIv, qIrq ghap 'oSlaHbe' {'oH}. {ghaH} Dalo'nIS. :-)

In the case of assuming a position in a hierarchy like officer or
captain, it seems like Klingons use {gheS} rather than {ghaH}.

Also, in English, people often say "somebody needs to do something"
when they really mean "it is needed of somebody to do something". In
Klingon, {-nIS} expresses need on the part of the subject. Does Kirk
have a need to be our captain, or do we have a need for Kirk to be
captain? I'd express your sentence as {nuDev qIrq 'ej HoD gheS 'e'
wIpoQ}.