[Tlhingan-hol] Ten Commandments in Klingon

Dillon, Kyle kyledi at spu.edu
Sun Apr 17 12:33:41 PDT 2016

You'd want the imperative for the second sentence. You could also say
munungbogh latlh Qunpu' tItoy'Qo'. Both Klingon versions kinda imply that
there ARE other gods, but that the Hebrew God doesn't want them getting
front row seats. Does the original allow this interpretation?  There's also
the possibility of latlh qunpu' HInungmoHQo'.  Can you understand that one?
It uses something we call the prefix trick to indicate both a direct and
indirect object.  I think it has less of an implication that such other gods
exist.

There is debate about whether ancient Judaism affirmed strict metaphysical monotheism or merely monolatry/henotheism. The Ten Commandments in themselves aren't clear on that point necessarily, although other passages in Deuteronomy and especially Isaiah are. The first sentence above does seem to indicate that other such gods actually exist, but I think there's an easy way around that:

munungbogh latlh Qunpu'qoq tItoy'Qo'.

The second sentence is intriguing, but I see a possible ambiguity:
1) Do not make other gods precede me.
2) Do not make me precede other gods.
I can't tell if the Klingon sentence is able to differentiate between the two.

-qayl