[Tlhingan-hol] Ten Commandments in Klingon

Dillon, Kyle kyledi at spu.edu
Sat Apr 16 20:35:30 PDT 2016

These comments are very helpful. Thank you. I'm still struggling with the syntax of subordinate clauses, and relative clauses in particular. Since they function adjectivally, I figured that they would come after the nouns they modify in Klingon. I will just need more exposure to example sentences with these types of constructions.

You are right about "no other Gods before me." I couldn't find "before" in my lexicon, but I hadn't considered looking up "precede" and so I settled for a spatial rendering. But with two verbs ("precede" and "have"), I'm wondering if it would be better to somehow break them up into two sentences: munungbe' latlh Qunpu'. Datoy'Qo'. Would that be more natural in Klingon?

Yes, most commands in the Torah are second person singular in the original Hebrew. The nation Israel is generally treated as a collective singular in the law codes, including the Ten Commandments. I was (briefly) working on a PhD in Biblical Hebrew a couple years ago, actually.

-qayl

Sent from my iPad