[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vem

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:01:11 PDT 2016

> tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang
> ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'.

Sentences like this drive me crazy. Can someone explain what the jay'
{tI'ang} is doing in this sentence ?

Without it we have a nice "at earth century (go figure) accidentally
the sleeper ship (who cares) is encountered by the starship yadda
yadda. The {tI'ang} does what exactly ? What's it's role there ?
Furthermore, why the english translation lacks the word accidentally ?
And why does it say "A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class" ? Where
in the original klingon sentence is the "this" expressed ?
Last but not least.. The english translation goes "24th century".
According to TKD, we have {wa'DIch} "first" {cha'DIch} "second"
{HutDIch} "ninth" ; So for "24th" we should have {cha'maH loSDIch}. If
we indeed had this, I would be ok with {vatlh DIS poH cha'maH
loSDIch}. But now we have {vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS} which according
to TKD translates to "century number 24".

Either there is grammar here I'm missing, or this sentence and
subsequent translation were written with total disregard to those who
would actually want to learn this language.

And now I remember seeing a sentence - not so long ago - which started
with {rIntaH}. But that's another story altogether.

tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchoHtaHDI', *canon* mu'tlhegh vIHaDqangQo' ;
meqvammo', DaH *canon* mu'tlhegh vIHaDqangbe'taH. nIQaHnIS *canon*
mu'tlhegh. nImISmoHnISbe' *canon* mu'tlhegh.

mIv Hurgh qunnoq
you have some stuffed to'baj leg in your teeth