[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: boH

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 01:39:33 PDT 2016

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv, thank you for your comments.

> {net DaSovlu’} is a mistake. The {-lu’} means that the
> second person in {Da-} is the object of the verb, but you
> are also trying to use {net} as the object of the verb.

Yes, of course.. this occured because I thought that {Sov} meant "to
inform"  ; I thought I remembered correctly, so I didn't look it up
before writing it.

> Basically, I think you overuse {‘e’} and {net}, trying hard to build long, complex Klingon sentences.

actually no.. the last thing I'm trying to do, is intentionally trying
to build long or complex klingon sentences. What I am trying to do
though, is excercise my ability to express in klingon the concepts I
want to express. Maybe there are times, when this results in more
complex sentences. However this complexity is not the goal.

> Very early on, Okrand discouraged us from this by explaining
> that Klingons often break up what an English speaker would pack
> into one sentence to form multiple sentences.

This is very interesting indeed ; and I appreciate mostly your sharing
all this information, a' this brings up the problem..

If someone refrains from {'e'}, {-bogh}, {ghach}, if someone limits
himself to sentences which contain one-two verbs max, if someone
demonizes complexity and condemns it altogether, then what kind of
meanings will he be able to express ? what kind of meanings wil he be
able to convey ?

so I believe that..

Hapvam wInuDmeH ghelmeH mu'tlheghvam maghel'eghnIS :
in order to examine this matter, we need to ask ourselves this question :

qatlh tlhIngan Hol ghoj vay' ?
why someone learns klingon ?

qech nap neH luDellaHmeH thlIngan Hol ghojchugh vay' vaj mu'tlhegh
Qatlh 'e' junnIS.
if someone learns klingon in order to be able to express only simple
concepts, then he needs to avoid complex sentences.

'a Hoch qechmey luDellaH neHchugh vaj mu'tlhegh Qatlh luqonnISlaH je.
but if someone wants to be able to express all concepts, then he needs
to be able to compose complex sentences too.

tlhIngan Hol wIghojmeH nupIlmoHbogh meqmaj DIghaj.
we all possess our reasons which motivate us in order to learn klingon.

meqwIj vIghaj je ; 'ej wa' meq neH vI'anglaHbe' bogh vIghaj.
I have my reasons too ; and I have a personal reason which I am unable
to reveal.

meqmo' mu'tlhegh Qatlh vIghItlhnISlaH je.
because of this reason, I need to be able to write complex sentences too.

*qanon*vo' ghoSbogh He'e' vIwuqba' rIntaH DaH 'e' vItlhoj.
now, I realize that I adopted a course which obviously strays away from canon.

meqmo' vIDelpu'bogh 'ej *qanon* bop tetlhvammo', jaj mu' mu'tlhegh
vIghItlh 'e' vImev.
because of this reason, and because this list is about canon, I will
stop writing sentences with the word of the day.

jIHvaD Hoch De'mey boghojmoHta'mo', Satlho' 'ej thlIHvaD tlho' vIyInqu'.
Thank you all for everything you taught me. I am really grateful.

mayqel mIv Hurgh qunnoq
I will remember this dinner forever