[Tlhingan-hol] Puns!

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 02:28:42 PDT 2015

On 30 October 2015 at 22:04, André Müller <esperantist at gmail.com> wrote:
> {nIqDob} = perforator, hole punch
> A tool for making holes into thin material... I was curious and googled for
> "bodkin", have a look!

Have a look at the "to be or not to be" soliloquy in Hamlet.

> {Ha'on} = staple
> It reads "Noah" backwards... well, Noah also always put two together,
> somehow, but perhaps there is another person with that name. Maybe a Noah
> Stapler, Noah Staples, something like that... I don't know.

I suspect that, like Shirley Silver and Jill the neighbour, it may be
the case that this is a reference to a Noah of Marc Okrand's
acquaintance. Unless, that is, someone comes up with a more famous
Noah associated with staplers or staples.

> {ghogh'ot} = bill
> Hmm... an "invoice" is a kind of bill, too. {ghogh} means 'voice', maybe
> *{'ot} should remind one of "out"... a voice-out? Any better idea?

Or maybe Bill is the name of a {gho ghot} "circular person".

> {tenwal} = page
> It reads "lawnet" backwards. Maybe there's a relation to that. I didn't find
> much that directly relate to pages...

Page or Paige are also names.

> {Su'nIm} = profile (of a shoe, fingerprint, etc.)
> It reads "minus" backwards. Maybe because the profile of a shoe is the
> negative of the print it leaves in the mud?

I was thinking the same: "minus" = "negative".