[Tlhingan-hol] Underwater work and diving

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Oct 30 12:57:35 PDT 2015

jatlh Anthony Appleyard:

>  (The chemistry words came with English translations.)

They didn't, actually. Lieven posted them with Klingon definition and
invited us to translate them for ourselves. I posted my understanding of the
words to the list, including one which I misidentified.  It was pointed out
to me that people would see my list, ignore context, and thing my list was
definitive. I didn't expect this to happen within twenty-four hours, but
there you have it.  Read Lieven's posts for the correct words.

The misidentified one was julSIp.  I named hydrogen, the major component of
the sun, but it appears that Klingons, like humans, first identified helium
in the spectra of stars, and like us, named the element after the sun. Right
after I posted that mistranslation, covered the Klingon column in my own
list and began to drill myself on the new vocabulary.  As soon as I got to
hydrogen I knew there was a problem, because bIQSIp is hydrogen. I followed
up and we figured it out.

Anyone who has recorded julSIp in his or her personal list based on my
posting, please ensure that you have it translated as helium, tamler
cha'DIch.

- Qov