[Tlhingan-hol] Outdated vocabulary/grammar

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Oct 30 07:46:20 PDT 2015

On 10/30/2015 10:40 AM, qunnoQ HoD wrote:
> i have noticed on various posts of fellow members that when they have
> referred to some older texts,they have used the description
>
> "..they (the passages) contain outdated vocabulary/grammar.."
>
> can someone explain what this means ? i could understand "outdated
> grammar" ; meaning that these passages have used grammar that has
> evolved in its ability to express the desired context.
>
> but what about the "outdated vocabulary" ? does this mean that there are
> canon words which have been discarded and are not any more in use ?

No, it means concepts for which we didn't have vocabulary at the time,
and so had to make due with a circumlocution, a direct reference to the
English word, or an overly general substitute Klingon word.

For instance, someone may have written text referring to pages in a book
and called them {navmey}; now we know they're called {tenwalmey}.

http://trimboli.name