[Tlhingan-hol] qepHom students wish list

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 29 06:59:56 PDT 2015

From my notes:

Holtej:  Krankor talks about this in the “Earthlings” movie: They were at a restaurant and Krankor was only speaking Klingon. He wanted to express that he wanted the sandwich rather than some other item, so something like {Soj} would not have been clear. Seqram [Mark Shoulson] was there, and so he used {HIlel} tongue-in-cheek to indicate the sandwich, in reference to a Jewish custom (Passover?). It was a nonce word, it was funny, and it did the job. But then, Krankor says, people started to use this word more and more for 'sandwich,' (probably a qep'a' phenomenon), and it's taken on a life of its own."

Seqram [Mark Shoulson]:  This was at qep'a' wejDIch. We had all gone out to eat at a nearby restaurant. Again, I was at Krankor's table, and again he was speaking only Klingon, and I was translating for him. He got across that he wanted the swordfish ({'etlh bIQ Ha'DIbaH}) but then was asked if he wanted the sandwich or the platter. This is a toughie. He looked at me and said "{HIlel vIneHbe'}." This one took me a few minutes, but I'm proud I got it at all... In the Passover Seder... there is a part called "korekh" wherein you make a sandwich out of matzah (unleavened bread) and a bitter vegetable. This is done to remember the tradition of the sage Hillel, who used to do the same when eating the Passover sacrifice (no longer offered) in order to fulfill the commandment of eating it "together" with matzah and bitter herbs... Krankor remembered that in his house they make a fuss about how it was therefore Hillel and not the Earl of Sandwich who invented the sandwich... and so used that term. And so I worked out what he meant, informed him I'd kill him for such convoluted punning, and translated.

Voragh