[Tlhingan-hol] Qualification

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 10:53:32 PDT 2015

On 22 October 2015 at 17:08, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> the meaning of the sentence {nepwI' Daba'} is given as <<he/she is obviously
> lying>>. but as it is described,the literal meaning would be closer to <<she
> is obviously behaving as liar>> wouldn't simply {nepba'} be much closer to
> the <<he/she is obviously lying>> ?

I believe this is a backfit to a misspoken line by an actor in the TNG
episode "A Matter of Honor".

The script calls for him to say {nepwI' ghaH}, which is glossed in
English as "he lies". (As for why it's not just {nep}, probably the
producers thought this didn't sound enough like a full sentence and
asked Marc Okrand to give them a longer sentence with the same
meaning.) The actor misspoke this as something that sounded like
{nepwI' Daaah, baa!}. Probably, as soon as he slipped and said {Daaah}
instead of {ghaH}, he threw in the {baa!} for effect, or maybe the
{baa!} was intended as spitting in Riker's face.

I think Marc Okrand incorporated this mispronunciation into the
Addendum of TKD, which includes Klingon lines he supplied for TNG.

Script:
http://www.st-minutiae.com/resources/scripts/134.txt

Video evidence:
https://youtu.be/WsB45s9ZBDU?t=1m8s (watch the actor's face and listen
for the pause between the {Daaah} and the {baa!})