[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon language known issues

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Tue Oct 20 19:22:55 PDT 2015

gItlh qunnoQ HoD:

> actually,i had thought of this myself sometime ago. i told myself,if they have translated Hamlet,Christmas Carol etc,then surely a workaround
> must exist for almost every difficulty that may arise. but i think that in order for someone to find this workaround,some considerable skill in
> the use of the language must exist. let alone that the workaround,must be clear and well understood by any listener of similar skill.

You have broached, here, upon what might be the most important thing for beginners to realize.  While these complicated topics may be interesting and you will eventually have to learn them and understand them, you must have "considerable skill in the use of the language" to understand them fully and apply them well.  This is why we often encourage beginners to practice the basics and fundamentals well, before trying to really apply themselves to these advanced topics.

>  out of curiosity,when Okrand decides on supplementing Klingon with whatever it may be lacking (at least as far as grammar is concerned)
> where will he post it ? Here ? At the KLI ? A new book ?

All are possibilities.  And he pretty much has done all of those plus more.  He has never actually posted here, but he has posted directly on other forums (I they are all closed now) and occasionally posts directly to individuals who then come straight here to share his post.  The KLI used to share its revelations through HolQeD, but now mostly does so at the qep'a'.  He also often reveals some interesting tidbits at the European qepHom.

> As a sidenote to all this,yes i agree that all of the languages,do have limitations ; i mean in Greek,we have tons of words which do not exist
> in other languages. Still when talking in English you can still convey the desired meaning,as long as you know English well enough. You just
> need to describe it in more words.

Exactly so when translating from English to Klingon.  Though you encounter it a lot less once you start actually composing in Klingon rather than composing first in English and then translating into Klingon.

janSIy