[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: veSDuj

qunnoQ HoD mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 08:32:48 PDT 2015

> In a thesis written by Yens Wahlgren ("Klingon as Linguistic Capital"),
Marc Okrand commented pIqaD in this way:
> The mapping is very cleverly done... I think it is great, it makes it so
you can write the language... I wish I could read it, when I get something
written in pIqaD I'm able to very slowly > > figure it out... I am glad
someone really is doing it and has decided that it is an alphabet and not a
syllabary. Now we know, cause Michael Okuda and I didn't know that

the <<when I get something written in pIqaD I'm able to very slowly figure
it out>> is not actually a limitation inherent in the pIqaD itself. There
is a scientific proven explanation why this happens. The human mind is
trained -during reading- to actually disregard various letters. When you
read for instance the word <<flabbergasted>> your mind isn't actually
reading each and every letter ; It <<chooses>> to omit certain letters and
focus its attention on others. But in order for it to do so,a lot of
practice needs to take place. That's why at school we learn the
alphabet,then how to read syllables etc.. If someone *had to* read
pIqaD,then his mind would eventually adapt (Borg style) and remove any
obstacles at least as far speed is concerned.

at a previous mail i wrote :

> i remember many-many years ago hitting pause on some star trek
episode,and carefully looking at the various pIqaD characters thinking how
nice it would be to learn how to write them

still this not the end of the story ; the next thing i did was copy each of
those characters,assign to it a letter of my native alphabet,and memorize
them. the years that followed,i was so accustomed to writing in those
characters,that my writing speed was the same with the speed of my native
language ; but because after writing with these letters,i rarely
systematically read what i wrote, i never acquired any useful reading speed.

It is all a matter of practice ; Not an inherent flaw of pIqaD.

qunnoQ