[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: veSDuj

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Oct 17 10:58:16 PDT 2015

Am 17.10.2015 um 19:41 schrieb qunnoQ HoD:
>  > Klingon was intended as a spoken (not written) language.
> hmm.. this raised another question. If Okrand did not intend Klingon to
> be a written language,has he ever said which pIqaD he considers canon ?

No. TKD (The Klingon dictionary) simply says that pIqaD "is not yet well
understood".

> As i understand there are at least two versions/types of pIqaD,and i
> think i read somewhere,that noone knows the creator of pIqaD. Has Okrand
> ever commented on any of these ?

That depends on what you see as "versions of pIqaD".

In a thesis written by Yens Wahlgren ("Klingon as Linguistic Capital"),
Marc Okrand commented pIqaD in this way:

The mapping is very cleverly done... I think it is great, it makes it so
you can write the language... I wish I could read it, when I get
something written in pIqaD I'm able to very slowly figure it out... I am
glad someone really is doing it and has decided that it is an alphabet
and not a syllabary. Now we know, cause Michael Okuda and I didn't know
that.

At the end, there are two ways to regard pIqaD:
a) We don't know how klingons write, so live with it.
b) Somebody has invented a set of letters which are quite useful because
they match the letters, and most klingonists have agreed to use this one.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh