[Tlhingan-hol] "Like that".

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Oct 3 01:13:34 PDT 2015

Am 02.10.2015 um 18:48 schrieb De'vID:
> On 30 September 2015 at 18:51, Will Martin <lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This morning, walking to work, I noticed a car turning around in the street
>> and doing a really bad job of it. I thought, “Why is he driving like that?”

Remember General Chang's line in ST6: {qatlh pa' ghoS?} literally "Why
does he go there", but in english one would say "What's he doing?"

>> We don’t have an equivalent mechanism for turning nouns into verbs, so we
>> can’t use adverbs like {nom} or {QIt} to describe a fast car or a slow
>> computer.

Okrand was asked for this recently, see
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/Fast

>> I’m tempted to say {De’wI’ vIneHbogh nom law’ De’wI’ vIghajbogh nom puS.}
>> but that doesn’t work because {nom} is not an adjective.

I suggest and adverb modifxing the verb of what the computer does, just
like you and De'vID suggested:
{QIt vum De'wI' wIj. nom vangbogh De'wI' vIpoQ.}

Also see the article about Comparing Adverbs:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/ComparingAdverbs

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh