[Tlhingan-hol] Pronouncing Klingon correctly

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 06:30:33 PST 2015

Okrand has repeatedly pointed out that he split {t} and {D} specifically to make the Klingon phoneme set as alien as possible, since human languages may pronounce all Ds and Ts dentally, as does English, or palatially as do some middle-eastern languages, or may use all four consonants (dental and palatial versions of each of the two consonants), but none of them use one dental and the other palatial.

He didn’t do it because of English, regardless of regional accent. He did it to be non-human. It’s a pride point for him, judging by how many times I’ve heard or read him explain that. It’s one of his language-geeky things in the language, judging by the way that he seems perpetually disappointed that people don’t notice and appreciate this more than they do.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv