[Tlhingan-hol] beyn Dartlh

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 05:35:40 PST 2015

De'vID:
>> One point of grammar: {-Daq} is (mostly) a physical locative in Klingon.

qunnoQ HoD:
> good point,though I see that you use the word <<mostly>> ; If "mostly"
> applies to {-Daq},then why not use it to express too,concepts as
> "among the Klingons" ?

I put "(mostly)" in brackets because there might be some rare
exceptions. The only one I can think of right now is {wa' Dol nIvDaq
matay'DI' maQap} from The Klingon Way, where {wa' Dol nIvDaq} "in a
greater whole" might be stretching the locative meaning a bit into a
metaphor, and arguably even maybe not.

For your purposes, {-Daq} signifies a physical location.
{tlhInganpu'Daq} means "at/on/in the Klingons". {tlhInganpu'Daq
ghawran tu'lu'} would mean "Gowron is found among the Klingons", like
if there were delegations at a conference from different planets or
something. It wouldn't mean that Gowron was among the Klingons in an
abstract sense like group membership, which is how it means to say
"among the Sith, there was Darth Bane".