[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 29 06:59:42 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' qunnoQ, jatlh:
> I've been trying in vain,to find ways to express the following words
> in Klingon :
> bless (v)
> saint (n)
> sacred,to be sacred
> holy,to be holy

Well, you do have to remember that even Earth religions can differ starkly from one another, so even in some Earth languages I'd struggle to translate these directly. What's more, the religious terminology we do have for Klingon does indicate a system that's probably very different from Christianity. What's the context you're thinking about? The context can very often make a big difference.

At first blush I think the verbs {SeQ} "be formal, ceremonial, ritualistic", {quv} "be honoured", and its causative {quvmoH} "honour, cause to be honoured" probably cover much of the ground of the words you're looking for, though not necessarily interchangeably. For "saint", perhaps {quvwI'} "honoured one" or {lalDan quvwI'} "(a) religion's honoured one", though in some contexts you might even be able to use the verbs anyway; for instance, I'd be tempted to render "Saint Peter" as {petroS quv} "honoured Petros".

QeS 'utlh