[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:11:25 PST 2015

jIjatlhpu' jIH:
> This is further supported by S31, where we see exactly this kind of
> causative construction:
> Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey
> "[The howl] serves to warn the other dead" (S31)
> The object of {ghuH} is the patient: the thing prepared for (from the gloss
> "prepare for, be alerted to"). But the syntactic object in the S31 sentence,
> the object of {ghuHmoH}, is *not* the patient, the thing prepared for.
> Instead, it's the beneficiary, or causee, if I can use that term: those who
> are being alerted. It's what one would have expected in the {-vaD} role if
> one were to base the pattern on the {Ha'quj} sentence from S20.

mujangpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> Exactly. Why doesn't it work like in S20?
> {[qen Heghbogh tlhIngan SuvwI'] ghuH Heghpu'bogh latlhpu'}
> {Heghpu'bogh latlhpu'vaD [tlhIngan SuvwI'] ghuHmoH bey}

I believe it doesn't work like in S20 because the role that's normally filled by the semantic patient of {ghuH} is empty: there's no overt reference here to what the other dead are being alerted to. (The non-causative would be {ghuH Heghpu'bogh latlhpu'} "the other dead are alerted".) Therefore, the causee gets to fill the empty Object slot. If there were an underlying patient - that is, {tlhIngan SuvwI'} - *it* would appear in the Object position, and the causee would be relegated to a {-vaD}-marked header.

jIjatlhqa'pu' jIH:
> However, this does raise the question of how you express "the commander
> caused (someone unspecified) to hit the warrior". Would it have to be
> periphrastic, as {vay'vaD SuvwI' qIpmoH ra'wI'}?

jangqa' De'vID, jatlh:
> {SuvwI' qIpmoHlu' ra'wI'} **ducks**

Hee hee :P

taH:
> (btw the only canon example of {-moH} with {-lu'} I recall is
> {chenmoHlu'meH Daq}, if you're looking for an example.)

{-moHlu'} is actually kind of embarrassingly well-attested, as two-suffix combinations go. In addition to the one you give and the KGT examples SuStel cites, there's also {HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} "it made him/her willing to die" from TKD (p.45), and a number of other good examples (though unfortunately, without exception they're derived from underlying monovalent verb roots, so they can't tell us any more in that regard):

yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'
"this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the Unforgettable" (S8)

Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'
"the eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened" (S20)

tuqlIj tuHmoHlu'
"your house will be shamed" (paq'batlh: paq'yav 2.6)

chaH neH wovmoHlu'be'
"not only they were illuminated" (paq'batlh: paq'raD 8.7)

qorDu'wIj quvqa'moHlu'meH
"in order to restore my family honour" (paq'batlh: paq'raD 16.5)

molor tlhabmoHlu'
"Molor's Release" (paq'batlh: paq'raD 24 Title)

veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
"Limited Edition" (MKE)

boSwI'vaD veyvam le' chenmoHlu'
"Collector's Edition" (MKE)

SuvwI' vaSDaq boquvmoHlu'
"you will be honoured in the Hall of Warriors" (MKE)

QeS 'utlh