[Tlhingan-hol] Does this make sense ?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Nov 24 10:41:51 PST 2015

Hmm, I'm afraid I can't really make sense of this. I get:

> I saw the talking picture, yesterday. You touch the energy of the dark side on the menu, he/she/they said. On the data disk, menu.

> This talking picture was about space.

> The talking picture. It is what? Answer me!

May I guess that you are talking about Star Wars?

Referring to a movie as a "talking picture" is quite clever. {HaSta much} is more commonly used, but I don't think there's any canon to support any particular option.

"Television set" has been translated as {HaSta jIH}, however, which lends some support to {HaSta much}.

To translate "the dark side of the Force" literally, you could say {energy/power Dop Hurgh} ("the dark side of the power"), rather than {Dop Hurgh HoS} ("the energy/power of the dark side").

Personally, I like translating "the Force" as {HoS'a'}, or "the GREAT energy/power", so as to set it aside from the rest.

There is the separate issue of whether or not {Dop} can be used to mean "side" in the sense of "I'm on your side!" or "the dark side of the Force". I honestly don't know.