[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:14:01 PST 2015

> I agreed with you up to the point where you suggest that the prefix trick
> can be used.
>
> Note that the prefix trick only works when the indirect object is first or
> second person. It’s never used with third person for all parties, as you
> suggest. And without that, you haven’t explained why {-vaD} is not needed
> when there is no explicit direct object.

Well, do we know that it doesn't work with third persons? Why shouldn't it?
It seems a bit arbitrary (though not impossible) to assume that the prefix
trick only works for the first and second person. I don't have TKD or KGT
here at my office, so I'm not sure what Okrand explicitly said. And I have
no possibility to search through all sentences where the prefix trick is
applied.

I think it *is* possible with third persons. I don't see a reason to assume
an extra rule that forbids this process for third person indirect objects.
If it *is* possible, then this also explains why {-vaD} isn't needed (see
my English examples, where no 'to' is needed after the dative shift). And
that was my whole point, and my analysis.

And yes, from that I would also conclude that it's possible to say {paqmey
lunob.} in the sense of 'They give the books to him.'