[Tlhingan-hol] meme question

chransberry@gmail.com chransberry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 07:32:33 PST 2015

Pesky directors!

-QISta'

----- Reply message -----
From: "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 23, 2015 01:58
Subject: [Tlhingan-hol] meme question

> On Nov 11, 2015 9:13 PM, "Karen Alessio" <karenalessio at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, so I saw this Worf meme on the KLI facebook page, and I have a newbie
>> grammar question.
>> I hope I can send an attachment to the mailing list. Sorry that it may
>> seem like a weird topic, talking about lovers and all, it was just the
>> grammar confused me.
>>
>> The phrase in question is written as "parmaqqaywI' SoH vIneH",
>> however I would like to know if maybe it would be more correct as
>> "parmaqqaywI' SoH 'e' vIneH" with something like 'e' there to mark the
>> depenant clause?
> oops I didnt put KLBC in the subject!

Did anyone answer this? I think maybe 'arHa missed it because the
subject didn't say [KLBC]. Since it's been more than a week, .

See section 6.2.5 of The Klingon Dictionary: "When the verb of the
second sentence is {neH} 'want', neither {'e'} nor {net} is used, but
the construction is otherwise identical to that just described."

(As for why {neH} is such a special verb, that has to do with the
director of Star Trek III wanting to change the meaning of a line
which had already been filmed. That story's been told on this mailing
list hundreds of times by now, although maybe someone will want to
tell it again.)