[Tlhingan-hol] {-moH}

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 09:14:09 PST 2015

I did not intend to imply that it makes the language unusable. I just wanted to point out that this is a very rare element in the language where nouns of different functional relationships with the verb go unmarked into the same slot. It is a problem uniquely created by this one suffix, and there’s not really much if anything else like it in the grammar.

My earlier error was to believe that since, when it is used with stative verbs (that normally have no object), since the subject of the root verb is consistently used as the direct object of the verb-plus-{-moH}, that could be generalized to verbs that normally do take a direct object. I did recognize that this created a bit of a mess when the root verb did have  a direct object, since there is no Klingon grammar that allows two unmarked and separate nouns to precede the verb.

For the verb {ghojmoH}, we apparently can use {-vaD} for the subject of the root verb and have an explicit, unmarked object of the root verb. I suspect that is true less because the subject of the root verb should generally get {-vaD} than it is that the subject of {ghoj} benefits from being taught, but the topic taught is less obviously a beneficiary. I’m not sure that this solution can be generalized neatly to other verbs.

For myself, it seems that certain verbs with objects handle this more gracefully than others do, and {ghojmoH} is a very graceful verb in this regard. It’s quite likely that most verbs with direct objects would prove less graceful.

When I see a graceless opportunity for using {-moH}, I’ll probably recast with some other grammatical tool. Certainly {ngeQchuqmeH gharqan Qugh je Qugh vIyuv} is a little clearer than {QughvaD gharqan vIQIpmoH}, since the latter doesn’t explain my mechanism for causing the hitting to happen, and it doesn’t have the simple weirdness of having Kruge be the beneficiary of my causing Garkon to be hit.

It’s not about being useable or not. It’s about being orderly in a graceful and lovely way, vs. following ugly rules to create ugly expressions of vague meaning.

Ditransitive verbs created by {-moH}. vIpar neH.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably