[Tlhingan-hol] nuqDaq ghaH 'arHa'e'?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Nov 21 07:19:27 PST 2015

On 11/21/2015 8:28 AM, qunnoQ HoD wrote:
> So,where is the need to try and "bring order to chaos", when the creator
> of Klingon says that the "brutish manner" is indeed the canon way of
> tlhIngan Hol ?

In this passage, TKD means that it does not present to the reader all
the subtleties of the language, so the knowledge gained from the book
will be limited to "brutish" speech. It doesn't mean that Klingons speak
their own language brutishly. It does say that Klingons may not notice
the difference between well-spoken Klingon and your brutish Klingon;
that's a joke Okrand's making about the quality of the language.

> An argument could be made,that when TKD was written,Okrand did not
> have time to address every question/ambiguity. But even if that was
> the case,haven't there passed so many years,so many qep'a' where
> every ambiguity could be answered ? Or should we think that Okrand is
> unaware of any ambiguities that may exist ?

He knows. Sometimes he does address ambiguities. We know tons more than
when, say, Hamlet was published. Many ambiguities are resolved simply by
seeing words used in canon for the first time, or seeing patterns of
usage in canon.

He also likes ambiguity. Out of ambiguity arise new solutions.

http://www.trimboli.name/