[Tlhingan-hol] nuqDaq ghaH 'arHa'e'?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Nov 21 07:10:45 PST 2015

On 11/21/2015 4:23 AM, De'vID wrote:
> {mIS} v. be confused, mixed up
> {missing verb} v. be confused, perplexed
>
> I believe that Okrand couldn't pass up an opportunity to make a clever
> joke and left out the "be confused, perplexed" entry on purpose.

I doubt that. "Mixed up" also means "perplexed." It doesn't have only a
physical meaning.

> If {mIS} meant what you think it meant, there would have been no
> reason for it to be glossed as "mixed up", which can only serve to
> disambiguate it from the other sense of "be confused".

It's possible he was trying to establish it as "be confused, perplexed"
because he didn't consider that "mixed up" has a related physical meaning.

We also have to remember that Okrand is a native English speaker, and he
was originally writing for a primarily American, non-linguist audience.
He would be trying to disambiguate for THEM.

> And that's my point. The KLI mailing list has developed some
> conventions which are, strictly speaking, not canon. There are
> ambiguities in the canon, and the KLI mailing list has developed
> conventions which are a matter of historical accident.

Agreed.

http://www.trimboli.name/