[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC : Sentences as objects

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 06:42:50 PST 2015

While I agree with the canon evidence that sometimes the direct object of {ja’} can be the unit of speech (a word, a sentence, a speech, a spoken part in an opera or whatever), the existence of {ja’chuq} pretty much nails the simple fact that SOMETIMES (if not most of the time) the direct object of {ja’} is definitely the person being addressed. There is no prefix trick here. Two or more speaking individuals are “telling each other”. I challenge you to find any other verb where {-chuq} was used to indicate an indirect object with some other direct object being used. Maybe you can answer that challenge, but until then, this case is pretty much closed.

The meaning of {-chuq} very simply is that members of a group are both subject and object of the action of the verb. That’s not really debatable.

Meanwhile, there is no example of {*jatlhchuq}, and so far as I’ve seen, no example in canon of {jatlh} used with a person as the direct object.

The other difference is that {jatlh} is obviously used with a language as the direct object, and so far that’s never been the case with {ja’}.

What canon suggests is that people are direct objects only of {ja’}, and languages are the direct objects of only {jatlh}, and either verb can have some kind of utterance as the direct object. Early examples seem to prefer {jatlh} for utterances and this one more recent body of work seems to strongly prefer {ja’} for this.

Perhaps there’s some other difference in meaning which would lead one to prefer one over the other for a particular statement about an utterance, but I don’t think that anyone here has managed a clear analysis that would help the rest of us know which to prefer in any given instance.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv