[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: multiple locatives

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:23:10 PST 2015

fata irae:
>> When there is motion from one place to another, is it appropriate/acceptable to specify both places?  And more specifically, is it acceptable to specify multiple objects/non-objects?
>>
>> pa'vo' pa'Daq vIHtaH qa'
>> The spirit keeps moving from room to room.
>> [...]

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> Your first example is fine, though ambiguous. Since {pa'} is also the word "there", if I didn't have context to suggest otherwise, I'd expect you to point to one place, then another and translate it as "A spirit is moving from there to there."

Since this thread is marked KLBC, I'll refrain from answering the
original question, but I have to point out that fata irae's example is
not ambiguous.

Straight out of TKD section 3.3.5:
It is worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the
English adverbs "here", "there", and "everywhere" are expressed by
nouns in Klingon: {naDev} "hereabouts", {pa'} "thereabouts", {Dat}
"everywhere". These words may perhaps be translated more literally as
"area around here," "area over there," and "all places," respectively.
Unlike other nouns, these three words are never followed by the
locative suffix.  (Note that {pa'} "thereabouts" and {pa'} "room" are
identical in sound; {pa'Daq,} however, can mean only "in/to the
room.")