[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Nov 18 13:23:44 PST 2015

I have no problem with {HIvje'vo' tlhutlh}; I feel that it matches the description that the "action is in a direction away from the noun", as it it transporting the object away from it.

Some examples in canon which I feel are more or less analogous:

{HoD, yo'SeH yaHnIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH.}
"Captain, we are receiving a priority message from Operations Command."
Spoken by Vixis in Star Trek V

{chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH.}
"Perhaps I'd like to buy something from you."
Spoken by a Human in Power Klingon; it's meant to be an example of somebody speaking poorly, but I don't think the grammar is meant to be the problem.

{Daq SumHa'vo' wab Huj Qoylu' / qa' bIQ Dujvo' qab Qoylu'}
"Strange sounds come from afar, / It is the barge of the Dead,"
paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 1, Stanza 5

{DaH rolIjvo' tIqDu'lIj lellaH}
"He could rip your heats [sic] out at will,"
paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 20, Stanza 9

In all of these cases, the subject can be considered stationary, and the motion is towards them, away from something else that is specified using -vo'.